Search This Blog

Monday, July 18, 2011

Monday July 18

Thurs. and Friday we were in Taos, NM.  This is a very artsy town.  We stayed at the historic Taos Inn right downtown.  All of our rooms were on a little courtyard.  The guys had a great time playing Liars Poker...


Saturday we got to Sante Fe, NM...We checked into the Hotel Sante Fe that was really neat.  This was to be the last night of the tour for most of us. We had a great celebration dinner, complete with local storytellers and a few Healey story tellers...
we Grouped up for a shot before dinner
Randy Hicks, Pat Bagby, Jeanne Hicks, Wright Bagby, Carl Brown, Linda Brown



Dan & Jackie Erwin

On Sunday morning at 7:00 we left Sante Fe and headed east.  We are traveling I-40 all the way to Hickory, NC.
The first night we stopped in Shamrock, Texas.  The temp. was around 105+.  We ate at Big Verns on old route 66...It was the only restaurant in town open on Sunday.
They had two great hosts to greet us....

hosts at Big Vern's
After dinner we went back to our hotel and noticed a sign  on the door...Please clean the mud off your boots..and there was a place by the door complete with hose to clean up those boots...
When I tried to Blog...my computer would do nothing...I was worried that I had lost all my pictures...but I guess computers get hot too and don't cooperate.  Tonight when I turned it on, it started up like always,  go figure.

Monday we left at 6 am hoping to beat the heat a little...we were going to travel to Ft. Smith, Arkansas...but decided that we could make it 70 more miles to Russellville, Ark.

Along the way we saw several Wind turbine farms....We checked into the hotel around 3 and were completely wiped out from the heat...106 degrees...but showers and naps do wonders.  We will get up in the morning and do it again.  If we can make it to Cookeville, Tennessee tomorrow, we can make it home on Wednesday...It has been a great trip but we are both ready to be home. 

Along the way...I have marked several things off my Bucket List:  Riding a Cog Train, going to the top of Pikes Peak (then I learned that it is the 31st tallest peak in Colorado), going on a hot air balloon ride...driving across country and back in our Healey...
Several have asked how Alan has managed on the trip...He has done great...I think he is stronger now that when we left home.

No comments:

Post a Comment